So we took Miss G in for her newborn hearing screening on Friday. She failed. Left ear passed (but barely), right ear completely failed. We are supposed to take her back in for a rescreen in 2 months. I’m really OK with that. I’m hyperaware of hearing loss issues, what with the genetic hearing loss in my family (which I am not genetically related to, so it’s OK), but even if she did have a hearing concern, we wouldn’t really do anything about it now anyway, so waiting two months to rescreen is fine with me.
I also want to get Wally screened, so I can rule out Hearing Problems. He continues to be difficult to understand, and he has trouble distinguishing between words that sound similar – or even sometimes words that don’t sound all that particularly similar. Sometimes he doesn’t hear us when we’re talking to him. Now, that could be selective hearing, and there are many other possibilities for the other things we’ve noticed, but I’d feel better definitively ruling out hearing problems.
But we can’t go thru the AEA after age 3. We have to go thru the school district. Ahem. I am reluctant to get involved with the school district in any way. So we’re considering just using an audiologist yet this year since we hit our deductible and it’ll be largely paid for. I just don’t know. I’d really rather do it for free…but not if it’s going to cause us trouble, you know?