how fun is this? The snow yesterday got me in a holiday mood. Momentarily. I dug out the Christmas CDs, but haven’t played them yet, how’s that?
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Fabric reusable gift bags, which I typically collect from the recipients before heading home.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Fake all the way. real ones make me sick. (allergies) Plus, we replaced our tree a few years ago with one with the lights built-in. OMG. Love.
3. When do you put up the tree? Sometime after Thanksgiving. We always plan for the weekend after Thanksgiving, but last year, it was the weekend before Christmas before we got it up. Then again, last year kind of sucked, so there is that.
4. When do you take the tree down? After Epiphany. Sometimes well after. Once the holiday is over, I quickly lose my momentum, and am happy to leave the tree up for months.
5. Do you like eggnog? Not so much, but the Soy nog is really good.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I got a stereo with a CD player when I was in high school. I loved it. Also, I got a pottery wheel (a kid’s one) when I was in 2nd grade and I also loved that. It didn’t make the move with us to Ankeny, and I’ve always been sad about that.
7. Hardest person to buy for? Anybody with a penis.
8. Easiest person to buy for? The little kids.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. At least two of the characters (Joseph and the angel) have had their porcelain heads glued back on. Before I had kids.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I am philosophically against Christmas cards.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Anything with cats on it from my mother in law.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I don’t really have one. I do like It’s a Wonderful Life. Mostly because I like Donna Reed and Jimmy Stewart, plus black and white movies.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? After Christmas the year before.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No, but I have kept some in the closet for a year (in case we need to whip it out for any reason) and then given it to Goodwill before the next Christmas.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Peanut Butter Blossom cookies. And Oreos dipped in almond bark. Actually, I’m a big fan of our Christmas Tree Decorating Snack Buffet, a tradition I brought over from my family. (Well, ok, it was just me and my dad who ever did this, but whatever…) We get summer sausage, cheese, crackers, little smokies, OJ with ginger ale, and eggnog and snack while putting up the tree.
16. Lights on the tree? Yes they are built in.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Mele Kelemaka. Andrews Sisters with Bing. And the Time Life Treasury of Christmas CDs.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Stay Home. We do Christmas Eve with Randy’s family and stay home by ourselves Christmas Day.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeers? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph. I listen to way too much Christmas music.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? We used to have an angel, but she died. We used to also have a ribbon, but it’s kind of ugly after 10 years of use, and Wally asked to have a star this year, so we’ll probably make a big star.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? I hate people when they are shopping for Christmas stuff. They are obnoxious and it’s always crowded and people are so rude and mean and it makes me have a bad mood and then I am rude and mean.
23. What theme or color are you using? I think our theme is “Christmas Stuff We’ve Inherited From Other People That Sarah Doesn’t Absolutely Hate.” It used to be “early marriage,” but after 11 years, I don’t think we can use that one any more.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? We always have roast, because it requires little preparation. toss it and some veggies in the crock pot and let it cook all day.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? The new elephant design GypsyMama wrap. Dharma and Greg to be released in the US.